Tuesday, December 16, 2008

So am I homeschooling or what?

So I'm a stay at home mom and I'm trying to get a head start on giving my little munchkin a good education. But how do I know if I'm officially a homeschooler? Do I have to fill a form somewhere or go to a website or Dept of Education office??? Also, where do I find curriculums and how do I know if they will work? I'm not a teacher, so how do I know what the proper balance of subjects is? I'm so confused!! But I want what's best for my child, like any other parent.

Obviously the web is a great place to get information on everything and I came across a few websites that I would definitely recommend to other moms in my situation.

I found one site that has an approach that really caught my attention in addition to their basic curriculum:
The Playground is yet another tool which helps to reinforce ideas while providing enrichment through games. This feature is initially set up to be used after at least fifteen minutes of lesson time, however, is adjustable at the leisure of each parent.
Preschoolers first complete structured learning activities before moving on to the preschool educational games, teaching them important study habits to
'do work, then play' that will be invaluable years afterwards.

This is something I would have never thought of, which is why doing our homework as parents is so important.

Two other helpful sites that I would totally recommend are chock full of information.
homeschool.com has live chats every week, plus a boot camp for new homeschoolers and a section with free stuff. who doesn't love that?

http://www.gettingready.org is all about ensuring success when children enter school for the first time.

Alright, back to my homework.

No comments: