Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Should I teach math to a preschooler?

I have a preschooler (who is still very small) but I'm wondering what I should teach her in the early days about math? I was thinking of calculus (LOL).

I would like her to be less confused and intimidated that I have been by math. Is there a good approach to teaching them when they're little?


I've heard that the start of math education isn't really dealing with numbers, it's really learning about things and their characteristics and comparisons....I read this about preschool math.

Preschool math students learn to identify and compare objects by size. They will measure and weigh themselves and be introduced to the concepts of volume, length, and weight. Though they are very young, preschool math students are able to use proper vocabulary to describe quantity, length and weight. They will learn to use the proper expressions such as 'more', 'less', 'one more', 'bigger', 'smaller', 'shorter', 'taller', 'longer', and 'heavier'.

The site also talks about some other basic concepts but stresses that math starts not so much with arithmetic but really with a broader set of concepts. I now remember why we spent so much time with Sesame Street singing: "One of these things is not like the other one, one of these things just doesn't belong..."

No comments: